MISSION STATEMENT OF FLANDERS FOUNDATION
To preserve, enhance, and maintain the Flanders mansion property as an historical, cultural, and educational resource for the benefit of residents and visitors to Carmel-by-the-Sea.
This implements the following General Plan Policies:
1. To recognize the unique social, cultural and recreational aspirations and activities which contribute to the vitality of Carmel-by-the-Sea; to provide a range of public and semi-public facilities and programs responsive to those aspirations; to maintain both facilities and programs so as to exemplify the highest standards for the community.
2. Retain and enhance the buildings and open spaces on a voluntary basis that make especially significant contributions to the unique character and identity of the city.
3. Develop a comprehensive approach to the maintenance and preservation of the City's architectural/ cultural/ historic resources promoting voluntary efforts and, if necessary, funding sources from public and private sectors.
4. Promote property owner awareness of Carmel-by-the-Sea's significant buildings, historic traditions, and preservation policies, and foster a wider appreciation of the contributions these buildings make to the city's character.
5. Establish an archival depository for information on
Carmel's history, cultural traditions and architectural contributions.